AAPC - Back to school

Thread: E&M Coding question

Default E&M Coding question

AAPC: Back to School
    A doctor in our office wants to charge a Level 3 new patient visit. The dictation states "the patient has lymphoma, needs a bx of leg lesion and a port placement. He understands risks and benefits and will be scheduled for surgery soon. Please see hospital dictation". Can I use hospital dictation to charge the office visit?

Milwaukee WI

Default What hospital dictation?

What hospital dictation ... isn't this a new patient?

I have no problem using records that are produced in different systems when it's for the same date of service and accurately reflects the service performed.

Sounds to me as if the doctor just doesn't want to have to dictate a separate H&P for the surgery at the hospital.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I agree the doctor needs to have more documentation than just that. The office visit might be undercoded, so if he does a SOAP or at least give more information on the visit than what he's given already..you might be able to code a 99204/99214.

Hope this helps

Similar Threads

1. D&C Coding Question
    By Billing500 in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 01:30 PM
  2. HRM & Impedance coding question
    By karacombs in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
  3. coding question about ER & Home health
    By ttcoding in forum Family Practice