AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Documentation for EKGs

Question Documentation for EKGs

AAPC: Back to School
    I was just handed a weeks worth of Hospital EKGs that were read by a provider they have decided to take on. She is not credentialed thru us yet so many of these will not be billable for that reason alone.

The other issue I have is regarding her documentation. The hospital is billing the technical component, so we are just billing the professional part. What is the minimum acceptable documentation for most carriers?

I have Medicare guidelines and she is not meeting them. Basically all she is doing is writing her name and the date she read it on the strip. That is it. Is that acceptable to anyone?

This is a new provider that I was given after the fact, she won't be reading again for a couple of weeks. But I need to get her up to speed before then and I want to be sure I give her correct information.

We do approx 200+ EKGs per day and I have a weeks worth to go thru right now. I already know they won't fly for Medicare but it would really suck if none of them are billable, which of course is my current fear.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

For hospital EKG's, ok for the dr to sign, date and write the diagnosis on the EKG tracing. We have never had a problem with an insurance company accepting the EKG tracing with the info written on the EKG. Also, the important data is printed on the EKG, Pt name, DOS, time and usually EKG generated dx.

Dolores, CPC - CCC

Similar Threads

1. Ekgs
    By palmlizard2000 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
  2. Ekgs
    By amylis1 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 07:29 AM
  3. Documentation of EKGs
    By lchang in forum Medical Coding General Discussion