AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding Dx for Outside Reference Labs

Default Coding Dx for Outside Reference Labs

AAPC: Back to School
    We have recently started using LabCorp at our office and bill for labs as outside reference, rather than having LabCorp bill the insurance companies (with the exception of Medicare, Medicaid, etc.). My question is that the Dr. in my office told me that when we are billing for the labs, she wants me to code the Dx's off the results rather than bill with the indication for the labs. I was speaking with my step-father who is also an MD about this and he said that we could not do this, that we have to bill the labs based off of the indication. Does anyone know which is correct? Or does is matter?

Thought I should add that the labs I'm referring to are for blood work, such as Preventive Panels, Vitamin D, etc. Thanks!!

Columbia, MO

labs are most usually coded from the symptoms or indication for the lab, screenings are always coded as screening. To code from the result you will need to hold the claim and wait for your physician to document the diagnosis in the patient's chart. A coder may not code from lab results. You may do this and code the dx that is rendered by the physician, howere as stated screening is always to be coded as screening.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. L1 Modifier: Reference Labs plus other services?
    By senpai_j in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 10:48 PM
  2. coding reference
    By trarut in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
  3. Coding Reference
    By Shay2025 in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM
  4. Reference Labs