AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding oral medications

Default Coding oral medications

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi Everyone
    My pediatrician wants us to bill for tylenol, motrin medications administered orally to the pt during an office visit.As far as I know there are no HCPCS codes for these supplies. Is there any way so that I can bill for these drugs and also want to know whether they are reimbursed when billed with office visit E&M service. Please help

Sukheshini, CPC

Columbia, MO

There are no HCPCs code for oral meds. Are these free samples? The admin of these is part of the E&M and the drugs themselves are OTC so I doubt if they can be billed at all.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

We use 99070 and put a description of what was given and any NDC #s or other pertinent information such as strength and dose. Some cover it some don't.

We do have many HCPCS codes for oral medication but not for Tylenol. However, I found some on Internet
    http://www.supercoder.com/articles/a...-tylenol-code/ .

There are HCPCS codes for oral meds. If it is an unlisted drug given PO you can assign S5001 for brand name drugs or S5000 for generic drugs. If it is an insurance carrier that doesn't accept S codes you can try J8499. You have to add the drug name, dosage and NDC# - as far as if it will be paid with an office E/M - it is really hit or miss. You are justified in coding it if it is not a sample . Good Luck.

Similar Threads

1. Question about coding for medications, IVs, therapies ect.
    By BruceB35 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2015, 02:22 PM
  2. ICD-9 coding and medications
    By jbunni342 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2014, 11:05 AM
  3. Oral Surgery Coding
    By annbishop in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 06:45 AM
  4. Nebulizer treatments and medications coding