Atherectomy vs Angioplasty

1. Default Atherectomy vs Angioplasty
    Medical Coding Books
    I have an operative note that indicates an atherectomy was performed to complete a pilot channel through a 90% napkin-ring lesion to facilitate a balloon angioplasty. Would you code this as an angioplasty or atherectomy?

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by laschneider View Post
    I have an operative note that indicates an atherectomy was performed to complete a pilot channel through a 90% napkin-ring lesion to facilitate a balloon angioplasty. Would you code this as an angioplasty or atherectomy?
    Yoy should code the angioplasty. I verified this in a medical dictionary and the artherectomy is considered part of the angioplasty.

Quote Originally Posted by nmkeirn View Post
    Yoy should code the angioplasty. I verified this in a medical dictionary and the artherectomy is considered part of the angioplasty.
    If you go back to a question that I submitted a few weeks ago, I was told from someone who went to a Dr.Z's seminar that you bill for the atherectomy, and not the angioplasty. The question is on pg 2 on this site.

Have a good day!,
    Jim Pawloski, CIRCC
    National Healthcare Review

4. Default
    Thank you very much for your help!

Similar Threads

1. atherectomy, angiogram, and angioplasty help
    By bmkardok in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
  2. please help:atherectomy/angioplasty help
    By bmkardok in forum Cardiology