Split visit consultation questions??

Default Split visit consultation questions??
    Medical Coding Books
    Hi everyone:

I am coding this visit for a family physician (Healthkeeper insurance patient) she is trying to bill a consultation along with an office visit, I advised her that two E/M code can not be bill for same Date of Service. Where can I direct her so she can have this info in black and white?

Reason for consultation is to get a foot surgery and reason for office visit is because patient is requesting depo injection, now if Dr. decided to bill the consultation only, should I append a mod 25 to consult and bill the pregnancy test and the depo injection? Thanks to all for your help.
    Mildred Nieves, CPC

I do not get the consultation on this. If the foot surgeon is asking for medical clearance then this is not a consult it is an office visit. You do not have the 3 Rs to be able to justify a consult. There is nor request to have your physician render a decision or an opinion on something unknown. The foot surgeon is asking for a medical evaluation of your patient that you see on a regular basis. The determination for surgery will be made by the surgeon. It should be an office visit with a 25 and an injection admin code.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Split/Shared Visit
    By kbartrom in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 10:14 AM
  2. split visit...but not really?
    By melissatwy in forum E/M
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM
  3. split/shared visit
    By vkratzer in forum Medicare Regulations