I'm fairly new to transplant surgery (liver & kidney), and I'm wondering if someone with experience can enlighten me. I've searched around the web and the AAPC Discussion board but haven't found the answer to this: when performing liver transplants, my physicians refer to "veno-veno bypass." I can't determine from their documentation whether this is the bypass of the liver (via bypass machine) to perform the surgery, or if they are trying to indicate a bypass graft. They aren't located in the same facility I am, nor have I built a rapport, yet, so I'm hoping someone here can help. Is this a billable service (and if so, what code), or is this simply a standard part of the transplant surgery? I've seen reference to the technique online, but no billing/coding guidance.
Thanks so much for any help you can offer!