Mental disorders are just as any "sick" condition identified or evaluated during a preventive visit.
If significant separate work is performed in evaluating or treating a condition during a preventive visit, then a separate E&M (99201-99215) can be coded with mod -25 in addition to the E&M for the preventive.
Code the appropriate DX for the condition evaluated. Link your preventive DX to the preventive service and your mental DX to the separate service.
Make sure the documentation supports the additional E&M. Key is "significant separate work"
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join