AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Ros

Default Ros

AAPC: Back to School
    When using the All other systems reviewed and are negative for the ROS does the doctor have to ask about each individual system or can the doctor just say "Is there anything else"? Our doctors are asking about the pertinent ros and then saying is there anything else and calling that a full review of systems. Is that correct?

Sarasota FL

Default Ros

I've tried to educate my docs to say " complete review of systems was negative apart from the pertinent positives noted in the HPI" if they have done a complete review. One of them will do some system reviews and say "rest of system review essentially negative" which is not accurate enough because you don't know how many were reviewed. I think your docs need to be more precise because ambiguity doesn't work in an audit.
    To my mind, the best ros is one where they do headers in the same way they do in the patient exam, then you know exactly how many are reviewed.

Milwaukee WI

Default Guidelines

The actual guidelines state the physician must review ALL 14 systems, and document at least 10.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

How do you calculate the ROS when the dr says all systems negative and there is nothing that I can pull from the HPI for the ROS? Is this considered a problem focused ROS ???

Similar Threads

1. Ros
    By valerie2424 in forum E/M
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 07:45 AM
  2. Ros
    By selsal in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
  3. Ros?
    By ktden in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
  4. ROS: see ROS from (other document)
    By renifejn in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM
  5. ROS Help!! What is proper language for ROS?
    By jvalntine in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 06:07 AM