That's kind of a tough one - because there still is no code for a lap ventral hernia repair you can't actually check CCI.
However, the open ventral hernia code IS bundled into this; this leads me to believe that if there was a code for lap ventral, it would also be considered bundled.
In addition, the Correct Coding Manual says "When, in the course of an open abdominal procedure, a hernia repair is performed, a service is reported only if the hernia repair is medically necessary at a different incisional site."
Although this is regarding "open" codes, I believe the same concept would apply to the lap codes.
I probably wouldn't code it separately.
On the other hand, if the ventral hernia repair was difficult and added a significant amount of extra effort and/or time to the lap chole procedure, you could always try billing it with a modifier -22.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join