AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Injection at office, then initial hospital care

Default Injection at office, then initial hospital care

AAPC: Back to School
    patient is admitted to hospital, but had an injection of Lasix in the physician's office prior to being admitted. Do I code 99221 and injection code with modifier 25?

First Hill, Seattle WA

Default Hospital admission w/ injection prior

As per the CPT 2008 "pt admitted to hosptial as inpatient in the course of an encounter at another site (physician office) all E/M services provdied by that dr in conjunction w/ the admit are considered part of the initial hospital care when on the same date as the admit. "
    Bothell Wa

I agree that the E/M visit cannot be billed when the MD will receive an initial hospital visit for that DOS. However, my question is can you pick up a 96372 for an IM injection plus the J code for the drug injected during the office encounter? I was thinking no, but wanted to clarify. Thank you for your time!

Greater Orlando

Smile Give it a try!

According to CPT and Ingenix " All services " are included in the admit code. However, it is vague at best. You could try billing the injection with the modifier 25 and see what happens. Good luck!

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2015, 06:40 AM
  2. Initial Hospital Care
    By Kocur1 in forum E/M
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
  5. Initial hospital care