AAPC - Back to school

Thread: E&M level for FACILITY ED charge

Question E&M level for FACILITY ED charge

AAPC: Back to School
    I am getting started on a project at my hospital and need advise. Is there any type of E&M audit tool that will show the proper level of service that the facility charges? Most of the ones I see are focused on the physician side of the charging. Our nurses use a charge sheet that adds points for what they do. I need to make sure it is correct.

Also, they do not currently charge for injections/infusions because they use it for "points" on the E&M charge. Is that correct? I dont see why we could not charge both.

Thanks for any help.

Columbia, MO

The facility E&M is based on criteria developed by the facility and a point system is acceptable. However you may not assign point for a procedure or service that has a CPT code, because you cannot double dip and you cannot substitute a piont on the E&m for a CPT code.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Thank you. So, as far as you know there is no reason the facility should not be capturing these other services like IM, IVP, Infusions ect..?

Columbia, MO

The facility does capture those services definitely just not as a part of the E&M but as separtely coded CPT codes.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. ER facility charge
    By 01051184 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 08:56 AM
  2. Facility charge for E&M and procedure
    By 01051184 in forum Emergency Department
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
  3. Non facility charge
    By southbaymed in forum Billing/Reimbursement