You mean everyone in the group is on the same meds? Or different meds? Guess it really doesn't make a difference.
CPT 90853 is for group psychotherapy. Talking about the meds is not psychotherapy. Psychotherapy would be discussing the underlying issue of why the group members are on a RX (ie PTSD, depression)
CPT 90862 is an individual service (RX mgmt with minimal therapy) and can't be coded for group services.
90862 is not simply "renew my perscription". Here is a paste of expected documentation for 90862. It would seem to be such a violatiion of confidentiality if each patient had to answer all this or be assessed by the provider in a group setting
Documentation of medical necessity for pharmacological management (procedure code 90862) must address all of the following information in the patientâ€™s medical record in legible format:
â€¢ Date and time
â€¢ Diagnosis â€“ update at least annually
â€¢ Interim Medication history
â€¢ Current symptoms and problems that include any physical symptoms
â€¢ Problems, reactions, and side effects, if any, to medications and/or ECT
â€¢ Current Mental Status Exam
â€¢ Any medication modifications
â€¢ The reasons for medication adjustments/changes or continuation
â€¢ Desired therapeutic drug levels, if applicable
â€¢ Current laboratory values, if applicable
â€¢ Anticipated physical and behavioral outcome(s)
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join