AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anesthesia Specialty Exam?

AAPC: Back to School
    I haven't taken my yet. I am scheduled on Dec 12 (the last one of the year). In the process of preparing it. I wish I did not have to re-take on 2011.

Default Suggestions

I just got my results from my specialty anesthesia exam and I did not pass. I just need to vent I feel the time spent on figuring out the time units is worthless. How many people have to do this manually anymore? The time given is barely enough and the operatives notes are long so the stress could be taken down by just giving the time units. My exam had alot of pain management coding which is difficult when you are strictly anesthesia and do not do any pain. I am going to take another go at it any suggestions about the best way to manage your time on this test?

I too am studying to take the exam. I have not coded anesthesia/pain for about 4 years so any help would be appreciated. Also, we used ASA codes and did not ever use a crosswalk. Is the crosswalk usable for the test and where would a person acquire one without paying hundreds of dollars.

Boardman, Ohio

i am with you, i took the test as well, my weakness is the math part, when your billing system already calcuates this for you, its hard to go and do it yourself. i do primarly anesthesia but some pain. i guess i just have to do practice tests and learning to break the time into units. it is and will be very frustrating to me until i pass because i am determined to do this and pass. i have been coding in this field for 4 years now and i thought i would have passed but of course, its the manual conversions.
    Julie S., CPC
    Anesthesia Coder
    Education Officer, Cleveland Area Chapter 2016
    Email: medcoder05@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12