Are you talking about inpatient admit or OBSV admit?
Are you sure he was called for a consult in the ER? If he is consulting, then it is not his patient and he can not admit. He can only advise the treating physician as part of his consult opinion that he advises an admit.
Was he really called to the ER to eval and treat the patient? If so, then he can direct admit the patient
Did he consult but then assume care after the consult?
If he admits the patient direct from the ER, then you can code only the intiial inpatient E&M codes, 99221-99223. His E&M service he provided in the ER rolls into the inpatient admit E&M.
You would combine and code the admit with 99221-99223. The admitting mod -AI that identifies the admitting physician is only for medicare patients
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join