If you read the description for 250.00, it states"Diabetes Mellitus WITHOUT mention of complication (Diabetes mellitus without mention of complication classifiable to 250.1-250.9)", therefore you would only use 250.00 if the patient does not have any complications or if the chart does not mention any. If the patient has any complications you would then use whichever code describes the problem (in your case neuropathy 250.6x). If the patient has more than one complication you would use as many codes as needed to describe the complications.
Maybe you could print out the ICD Coding Guidelines for your coworkers to reference. Good Luck.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join