AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outsourcing Coding Positions

AAPC: Back to School
    dont give up,i have taken the exam more than twice and im determine to be a cpc.the pay is great and i love what im doing.

Louisville, KY

For those who've been following this discussion, I wonder what (as members) we can do to address our concerns? Although I believe it the right of the professional association to determine who is eligible to take its exams, it seems worth bringing to leadership's attention that long-time members are devoted to retaining their pay, benefits and career options.

I'm open to personal messages on this site to further discuss the topic.

Thanks to all and Happy Independence Day!
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

I know our medical records go out of the country and there are no HIPPA guidelines or any guidelines oversees. But coding outsourcing does not necessarily mean that it is going out of the USA. You can have coders coding from east coast to west coast. But, as far as learning coding and getting a job, good luck. I have many years and knowledge of this business, am well rounded,and recently aquired my CPC, and so far no success. Have a lot to offer, but no one so far is interested. Have great job, but my passion is to code in a multispecialty business, such as surgycenter setting or possibly interventional radiology or somewhere someone will teach me the in's and out's as I bore easily. Good Luck to everyone out there, just be vigilant to the fact that, everyone is out there to make their money, even on you!

Pam, I couldn't agree more with you. You are on the right track and many coders who have been in the field for awhile know that you are speaking the truth. I understand some on this forum may be in denial, but I and others have been in the workforce long enough to see the IT/Computer jobs that were in such demand in the 1990's disappear oversees amongst other jobs, therefore it is always a possibility.
    Kevbshields, is it time to get a lobbyist for our behalf you think? Apparently, its a political strategy to make illegal the outsourcing of records to other countries. As long as its legal, they are going to outsource.
    Last edited by GaPeach77; 07-15-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Default Perspective from AAPC

Working in the Call Center for AAPC, I speak with members and potential members all day long. I have yet to speak with anyone who lost a coding job because it was outsourced anywhere else. Outsourcing can happen and I'm sure it does happen to a certain degree. However, if a large number of coding jobs were being outsourced to a foreign country, I am sure we would have all noticed the trend.

This might be a good time to note how important it is to increase our talents and expand our expertise. Employers will always be looking for coders who have more credentials and are capable of handling a wide variety of tasks in different fields. For those who are looking for jobs, imagine what it would change to widen your scope and search for positions in several different fields! This is exactly the reason that AAPC is expanding. We're tackling Practice Management, Compliance, Auditing, etc. because we want to provide everything a coder would need to enhance his or her abilities and keep the jobs in the United States.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12