As per the coding guidelines, "we need to assign codes from category 403, hypertensive chronic kidney disease, when conditions classfiable to 585-587 are present" and hence Unspecified renal failure code is 586, which comes under this guideline.
Also as per the tabular list, when we check into failure - renal - under hypertension it leads to 403.91, the same code for hypertension with chronic renal failure.
So we can the causal relationship applies to both chronic renal failure and unspecified renal failure as well. But not to renal failure- 584.9, as we know.
Hope this helps you and have a great day!
Purnima S, CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join