AAPC - August DL Sale: 50% OFF

Thread: Vitals Signs: Afrebile. Vital signs unremarkable

Default Vitals Signs: Afrebile. Vital signs unremarkable

Hi,

(1995 guidelines) Vital Signs stable - count as Constitutional exam? As an auditor, I prefer to have the vitals listed (at least one [i.e. vitals: Temp 98.3...) instead of vitals stable and/or unremarkable. For all of you auditors out there...would you "count" vitals stable??

P.S. I looked in the forums to see if this has been posted before, but I was not able to find any. If there is one, I apologize in advance =)
    Last edited by 1071471; 06-01-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: forgot to mention - 95 guidelines

For me, I would not give him the bullet. Certainly not under the 1997 and I still would not under the 1995. I consider this very lazy documentation. What vitals? What results?

"Stable" to me indicates that there is a comparison or a change. Were they unstable and now stable? What and who defines stable?

If the nurse/tech documented the vitals (BP, temp, HR etc) then I would expect a statement from the physician "vitals reviewed and found within normal limits"

If he did the vitals himself, then he should specify which vitals and the results

Default 1995

If using 1995 guidelines I would give credit for "Vital signs stable" - AS LONG AS they were recorded somewhere in the chart for that DOS (usually the nurse records).

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC