According to the CMS the notation "seen and agree" or simply countersigning is not sufficient. He/she must specifically document what he/she has personally done. The definition of a split/shared visit according to CMS is a medically necessary encounter with a patient, where the physician and a qualified NPP each personally perform a substantive portion of an E/M visit face to face with the same patient on the same date of service. This can be found in the Medicare claims processing manual Pub 100-4, chapter 12, section 30.6.1-.13 An article came out on lamedicare.com about incident-to and split/shared visits. You should check it out...Lynn
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join