I don't know if I understand your question. You have 1 ASC physician who was asked for a consult but doesn't do any injections as he usually does. Correct?
The first issue to verify is: was a consult requested or was the patient referred. Do you have documentation of a consult request? Your Physician can not provide a consult if he was not asked for a consult.
Second issue to verify: Medicare no longer recognizes the 99241-99245 or the intpatient 99251-99252. Some non-medicare payers have also followed Medicare's lead. So first you have to verify does this patient's payer recognize the consult E&M codes
If the payer does, then the physician codes and bills for the consult service he provided with 99241-99245
If the payer does not, then the physician codes and bills based on if the patient is new or est to this provider with 99201-99215. Review the new/est patient rule (same specialty, same group, within last 3 years is an Est patient)
The physician will code for the E&M service and any procedures he provided. The ASC facility will code for their services.
If this does not answer all your questions, hopefully you will get some additional responses
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join