Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

coding

1. Default coding
    Medical Coding Books
    what is the best appropriate code for "lumbar degenerative joint disease?"

In the ICD9 if you go to disease and then under spine it has a sub-heading of joint which states to see disease joint, spine. this brings you to NEC 724.9

(These are my opinions and should not be construed as being the final authority. Other opinions may vary.)

724.9 is not the proper code. Go to the ICD-9 Index: Disease > joint > degenerative > spine, and you directed to the Spondylosis codes. For lumbar use 721.3

Richard Mann, your pain management coder
    rkmcoder@yahoo.com

My opinion 722.52 degeneration of lumbar or lumbosacral intervertrebal disc

I agree with the 722.52. That is what I use and see a lot of providers use it as well.

Jessica Harrell, CPC

(These are my opinions and should not be construed as being the final authority. Other opinions may vary.)

Ya gotta get your terms straight!!!

721.3 - Lumbar Degenerative Joint Disease
    722.52 - Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease

These are different!!! Ya gotta be specific and ya gotta be right. Medical necessity often depends on using the proper code, and just slapping something down that may be right is not good enough!!!!!!

As an example, Lumbar Facet Joint Injections meet medical necessity when the diagnosis is Lumbar Degenerative Joint Disease (721.3), but not when the diagnosis is Degenerative Disc Disease (722.52). So if it says Lumbar Degenerative Joint Disease and you slap down 722.52, then you have a claim that will be denied by Medicare and may be denied by other carriers, all because you did not take the time to determine the proper code. We have to get it right the first time folks, because chasing denials costs lots and lots of money...

Richard Mann, your pain management coder
    rkmcoder@yahoo.com

7. Default
    I do agree with the 721.3. That's what I came up with. A buddy of mine came up with 715.98.

Can the experts in Pain Management or Orthopedics break it down?
    Last edited by adebisihamilton; 06-11-2010 at 10:36 AM.

I think the correct code for DJD of the lumbar region is 721.3...

Cool Codes
    I work for a orthopedic office and we use 722.52(degenerative disc dx) and sometimes 716.98( facet arthropathy). Hope this helps cpc

i use 721.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast