podiatry - I am once again confused

Cool podiatry - I am once again confused
    Medical Coding Books
    I am once again confused - my provider did a bilateral toe nail removal - I billed with Rt and Lt - since she didn't provide exact toes - but the modifiers were there - Medicare added a 51 to the second removal. Is that correct? This is a unilateral procedure, so why are they adding a modifier to decrease my value?
    Thanks once again for the assistance.
    Cyndi

Default podiatry
    give the procedure code a -50 (-50 means both sides, lt and rt), since the MD didn't provide which toes....hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by denali View Post
    I am once again confused - my provider did a bilateral toe nail removal - I billed with Rt and Lt - since she didn't provide exact toes - but the modifiers were there - Medicare added a 51 to the second removal. Is that correct? This is a unilateral procedure, so why are they adding a modifier to decrease my value?
    Thanks once again for the assistance.
    Cyndi
    Rachele Porter, AS, CPC, CPC-H, CEDC
    no weapons formed against me shall prosper

3. Default
    Medicare normally wants modifier 50 on one line with the billed amount doubled enless there is a LCD or NCD stating different. I looked up the codes: 11730-11732 & 11750-11752 on the RBRVS and bilateral policy does not apply, when bilateral doesn't apply then mutiple procedure policy applies so MC processed correctly.

Hope this helps

since these were actual toes, I would have applied the appropriate T modifiers, put them on separate lines and added 59 on the second one. (just as you would for hammertoes)