The definition for Hammertoe I have "hammertoe is hyperextension of MPJ AND DIP with PIP locked in flexion" so the very definition includes deformity of the DIP.
So I find my answer right in the CPT code "correction hammerTOE"- correction of the defomity of the toe. It does not say correction of a hammering joint, other codes you might charge more than once on one extremity say "each tendon" or "each metatarsal"
If the doc did actually have to do more work at the DIP then maybe I would put a mod 22 on it and have the doc dictate cover letter stating why he had to do more work at the DIP.
That's all I can find on this one.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join