The time threshold for billing based on counseling/coordination of care for 99215 is 40 minutes. How long was the total visit? It is a little unclear from your message. The time to bill 99215 AND 99354 would be at least 30 minutes over 40 so 70 minutes minimum. CPT 99354 saus "first hour", but it really means first 30-74 minutes over the CPT threshold.
Make sure if billing based on time that total time, counseling time (reflecting >50% of total time) and content of counseling/care coordination is documented clearly in the medical record. Especially for Medicare.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join