I am new to psych coding and I am not sure which way is correct.
I code for an Emergency Department, which sees patients 24 hours a day.
For the CPT code 90801 I have the following information:
"CPT 90801 is a single UN-TIMED service therefore multiple units per date of service are not covered, regardless of the number of professionals involved in the examination process".
I understand this to me that for one encounter in the ED, it should only be charged once no matter how many clinicians have seen the patient (unless more than 24 hours has passed, then you may charge it twice. For example; patient saw at 4/5 1:00 AM and then if they are still in the ED and patient was seen at 4/6 2:00 AM - I could charge the 90801 service twice). One of my co-workers understands this to mean that if a patient is seen at 4/5 11:58 PM with a service of 90801 and then again at 4/6 12:02, you may charge the 90801 again, because it is a different date of service.
Can anyone help me with this issue? Thank you.
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join