Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

An HPI Question

Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by dballard2004 View Post
    According to my co-worker, the instructor states that, for example, knee pain would not be location because the provider is not specifying the exact location on the knee. The rationale is that knee is a body part, not location.

Well....isn't a body part location?
    Dawson - any possibility that the instructor could share his/her source? I have always counted "ear" or "knee" or "eye", etc as the location...yes a body part is a location! We are talking HPI here, right? So how do we know the exact location of the knee/ear/eye/finger/breast/toe... until after the exam?
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Curtis View Post
    Dawson - any possibility that the instructor could share his/her source? I have always counted "ear" or "knee" or "eye", etc as the location...yes a body part is a location! We are talking HPI here, right? So how do we know the exact location of the knee/ear/eye/finger/breast/toe... until after the exam?
    Agree. I would definitely count it as location, and will continue to do so until I get something in writing that says I can't. If my docs can demand everything in writing, so can I!
    Linda Vargas, CPC, CPCO, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC,CCC, AAPC Fellow
    PMCC Licensed Instructor
    2018 Chapter President, Kansas City, MO

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by LINDALOUV View Post
    Agree. I would definitely count it as location, and will continue to do so until I get something in writing that says I can't. If my docs can demand everything in writing, so can I!
    Linda - I love that!!
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

I am total agreement with Linda!

From my understanding, the instructor tied this back to the E/M guidelines. I researched the E/M guidelines and I find no directive on this there. All I find is that "location" is one of the HPI elements. I will ask for the source and post back here when I have an answer.

Thanks to all for the replies.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P, CRHC, AAPC Fellow
    Coder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12