I have the same question! CPT and Medicare guidelines are so vague. They state that a detailed exam is: Extended examination of the affected body area(s) and other symptomatic or related organ system(s).
Does that mean that one OS or BA should be in detail and other affected ones don't have to be examined and documented in detail?
Because these definitions are so vague, I think you have to develop internal policies as what exactly you will call a detailed exam.
When I was studying for CEMC exam, I understood from AAPC slides that two or more BA or OS should be documented in detail, then I have another coder tell me that the word "extended" applies only to the affected OS or BA.
I would like more replies from other coders!
Santa, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join