Endovascular covered stent graft popliteal

Default Endovascular covered stent graft popliteal
    Medical Coding Books
    I have a covered stent graft using a 8 by 10 and aan 8 x 5 covered stent graft placement of the popliteal. (endovascular repair). The report reads just like a 34805 only of the popliteal. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have main body below...

angio.... popliteal artery aneurysm. measurements were taken and the sheath was changed to allow passage of the stent graft device. an 8 mm etc.. was placed and postdilated. completion angio....showed leak so a stent graft extension (34825 but this is for aaa or iliac...) was placed with completion angio etc..

FYI this case was from 2010. New code 37226 allows for the aneurysm diagnosis code this year. Thanks for all your input.

Kim
    Last edited by kimcpccircc; 07-27-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: update with 2011 information

how about an unlisted code? 35151 is an open surgical procedure so I wouldn't use that. 34805 is for a AAA repair so I don't think i'd use that either.

3. Default
    I would look more at using 37205 stent placement with cath placement and S&I code. Or 37207 if they had a cut down on the fem.

after doing some digging, it looks like 37205 would be correct for this case

Default popliteal aneurysm
    after thorough research I would like to add that stents are not covered for popliteal aneurysms. Dr Z-states you should use the 37799. Just in case this comes up for somebody else.

What about 37226? Why would you not use that?
    Forgive me I'm having a blank moment
    Per Payer Path 442.3 does meet medical necessity for 37226......I have a very similar case. No matter how I look at it the CPT description for 37226 is the closest to what my surgeon actually did even though he specified the stent was placed for a popliteal aneurysm.
    A. McCormick, CPC, CGSC
    Walters Surgical Associates

Quote Originally Posted by Grintwig View Post
    What about 37226? Why would you not use that?
    Forgive me I'm having a blank moment
    Per Payer Path 442.3 does meet medical necessity for 37226......I have a very similar case. No matter how I look at it the CPT description for 37226 is the closest to what my surgeon actually did even though he specified the stent was placed for a popliteal aneurysm.

37226 is a new code for 2011 and would be correct for this case. (but not at the time of this post).

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

I went to the ViaBahn site and after much fumbling finally found their section with the coding. They also used 37226. My instincts were tight. Relief!!
    Now on to the next chart
    Thank you for your help.
    A. McCormick, CPC, CGSC
    Walters Surgical Associates