Per CPTÂ® Assistant, July 2006, sports physicals should only be reported with a preventative medicine code if the provider performs a comprehensive history and exam. If the provider performs a brief, detailed, or extended history and exam, report the appropriate office/outpatient E/M code (99201-99215)
This has been a hotly contested issue on these forums. Some coders disagree and think that a preventative medicine code should be used instead since the patient has no complaints. Many payers also may not reimburse for an office/outpatient E/M code (99201-99215) with ICD-9-CM code V70.3, so while the above is CPT's directive, you may want to consult with your payers for their recommendation.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join