Hello Fellow CPC's,
I am having an issue with the theory behind the coding of a dysplastic nevus of the" back", confirmed by pathology report. I know that a dysplastic nevus has characteristics of a malignant lesion, although it is really not considered malignant. So here is my issue. What code do I use 238.2 or 216.5? My only issue with 238.2 is if you look in the 2010 ICD-9 book under the tabular listing it says right under 238.2 "TIP: Assign this code for keratocanthoma only". That would make me lean towards the other code. Or is keratocanthoma the same thing as a dysplastic nevus (I don't really think so)? Do I ignore this tip in the tabular listing? I was taught that I should pay close attention to all the little notes in the tabular listing because it will help you choose the proper code. Plese help. Which code 238.2 or 216.5?
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join