WPS Medicare has some great modifier educational sheets:
One says the modifier isn't required (GY) and that the service will deny anyway, GZ looks like an informational modifier only. I'm not sure about "red flags" to Medicare but it sounds like there is lots of potential revenue loss by not obtaining an ABN and using the modifier so you can bill the patient when they are responsible.
Maybe it would help if someone knew just how much money was being lost? Though sometimes it is hard to be "just" the coder or biller and have any say in things like that...
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join