thyroidectomy

1. Lightbulb thyroidectomy
    Medical Coding Books
    Please help me make sure I am correct in coding this:

total thyroidectomy on left side w/ removal of isthmus
    subtotal thyroidectomy on right side
    nim monitor use

60271-59

not really sure if I should just code one or both thyroidectomies?

thanks

Default Thyroids can be tricky
    Since it shows (from what information you gave) that the total Thyroid was not removed you can not code 60271(no substernal thyroid gland removed) I would look at using 60220 for the total Thyroidectomy on left side w/ removal of isthmus. Then I would look at the code 60210 for the subtotal Thyroidectomy on right side with 59 on this code. ON the monitoring if the Doctor performed NIMS I use 95920 and 95867 with modifier 26 I hope this helps

3. Default
    Yes this helps greatly. Is it ok for the surgeon to code 95920, I have been told before that the surgeon cant bill this? Just wondering maybe I need to review this again.

I haven't had a problem and since I use the modifier 26 insurance pays it except MCD,MCR, Tricare. They don't pay for any monitoring.

Default monitoring
    actually my Docs Don't do much monitoring with a Throidectomy. But the codes I gave you are the typical codes I use for the other monitoring we do.

60225 - Thyroid lobectomy (left in this case) with contralateral subtotal lobectomy (right), including isthmusectomy
    Jerri, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Thyroidectomy
    By jan g in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM
  2. Completion Thyroidectomy
    By elora81 in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 02:48 PM
  3. S/P Thyroidectomy
    By cweavercpc in forum ENT/Otolaryngology