was 68815 done?
Title: Coding Consultation: Questions and Answers
Surgeryâ€“Eye and Ocular Adnexa
We received two questions pertaining to the following surgical intervention: Lacrimal puncta are dilated (68801), after which scissor punctoplasty is performed (68440). Canaliculi are probed and obstructions found within the canaliculi are dilated with the probe (68840). A dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) is then performed (68720), after which silicone tubes are placed through the rhinostomy (included in DCR). Middle turbinate is partially
Question 1o the more distal lacrimal tract procedures make this a conjuntivodacryocystorhinostomy (68750) or would they be separately coded, in addition to the DCR (68720) as above?
Answer:The procedural description provided is -definitely not a conjuntivodacryocystorhinostomy (68750). Moreover, a probing is always performed with a con-juntivodacryocystorhinostomy, and is thus, not
Question 2:Is the silicone intubation through the new nasolacrimal opening included in code 68720 or is there a different code for it, and can code 68815 possibly be used?
Answer:The silicone intubation is not included in the work description of code 68720,Dacryocystorhinostomy (fistulization of lacrimal sac to nasal cavity).Although the additional work is minimal, it would be appropriate to separately report code 68815,Probing of nasolacrimal duct, with or without irrigation; with insertion of tube or stent.
Hope it helps!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join