"What Services Are Included in Moderate (Conscious) Sedation?
When providing moderate sedation, the following services are included and are not reported separately:
â€¢ Assessment of the patient (not included in intraservice time)
â€¢ Establishment of IV access and fluids to maintain patency, when performed
â€¢ Administration of agent(s)
â€¢ Maintenance of sedation
â€¢ Monitoring of oxygen saturation, heart rate, and blood pressure
â€¢ Recovery (not included in intraservice time)
Intraservice time starts with the administration of the sedation agent(s). It requires continuous face-to-face attendance and ends at the conclusion of personal contact by the physician providing the sedation. Additionally, the service time is included in each of the code descriptors and is also defined in the guidelines"
Also in this article, there are clinical examples.
Hope this helps! Be sure to check Appendix G for services that include the sedation.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join