Separate procedures at different hospitals

Default Separate procedures at different hospitals
    Medical Coding Books
    Hello everybody!,

I have a question for everybody. A patient has a heart cath at one hospital, and is transferred to a different hospital for a cardiac interventional procedure. Doctor states that information in the interventional report, and what was found in the diagnostic procedure. Do you code for a repeat diagnostic exam, and the intervention, or code just the interventional performed (PTCA or Stent).

Thanks,
    Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pawloski View Post
    Hello everybody!,

I have a question for everybody. A patient has a heart cath at one hospital, and is transferred to a different hospital for a cardiac interventional procedure. Doctor states that information in the interventional report, and what was found in the diagnostic procedure. Do you code for a repeat diagnostic exam, and the intervention, or code just the interventional performed (PTCA or Stent).

Thanks,
    Jim Pawloski, CIRCC
    Jim,
    If the diagnostic heart cath at hospital #1 is insufficient for the intervention at hospital #2, you can bill for another as long as the physician documents the medical necessity (previous cath insufficient, patient condition has changed etc). Otherwise, IMO, you should not bill for a second diagnostic heart cath.

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

Quote Originally Posted by dpeoples View Post
    Jim,
    If the diagnostic heart cath at hospital #1 is insufficient for the intervention at hospital #2, you can bill for another as long as the physician documents the medical necessity (previous cath insufficient, patient condition has changed etc). Otherwise, IMO, you should not bill for a second diagnostic heart cath.

HTH
    Thanks Danny for your response. I audit a cath lab, and they had questioned me about patients who either had a diagnostic cath on one day, and the intervention on the second day, why I had credited the second heart cath. There was no mention of a change of status on the patient. They billed for a diagnostic heart cath along with the intervention, so I credited the diagnostic part of the bill. I wanted a second opinion on this issue.

Thanks again,
    Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

I've run into this situation before too. I'm just curious, was the cath and the stent performed by the same physician or different physicians? I worked for a group where the docs had priviledges at multiple hospitals.

Default Separate procedures at different hospitals
    Unless the patients' condition has changed significantly, in other words worsened or a new Dx is available necessitating a repeat cath, you would not bill the cath performed concurrently with the intervention, just bill the intervention at the second hospital.