AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Blank physician t-sheet

Fresno, Ca

Default Blank physician t-sheet

AAPC: Back to School
    Can a hospital facility coder charge for any E/M level if the physician t-sheet only has a dx & signature on it? There is no HPI, ROS, Physicial Exam or anything done. Only a dx. And he did write an RX. Not noted on the t-sheet.

Do you have a dictation? If not, I would request the provider to complete the T-sheet and dictate a report before coding.
    Julianne Sheetz, CPC

Fresno, Ca

No dictation sheet. Will request completion of t-sheet. I realize that being a physician coder, I can't charge until documentation on physician t-sheet is complete, (no exam done unless documented). I used to be a facility coder, needing a reminder of facility charging though for the hospital I work with. Thank you for your input always :-)

Default You can code on the facility side but....

You don't need physician documentation for a facility level. So if this is a patient who was triaged and left or a similar scenario, the blank T-Sheet makes sense. But if the patient was treated by the physician, the T should ibe returned for documentation for medical legal reasons as well as coding the physician services.

Similar Threads

By Aledford in forum E/M
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 01:29 PM
  2. I'm having a blank..
    By Mrutkowski18 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
  3. Drawing a blank...
    By btadlock1 in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM