AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Facet Cyst Rupture

Long Island/New York

Default Facet Cyst Rupture

AAPC: Back to School
    Our doc performed a L4-5 facet cyst rupture. She did this to rid the patient of this condition. My question is what dx would I use for this? Thanks.

International Member

I think L4-5 facet cyst rupture is an uncommon cause of the Lumber Radioculopathy & spinal stenosis. I searched in the ICD 9CM but unable to find a specific code. So Can we consider Radioculopathy/spinal stenosis if mentioned in report?

And if you look into the ICD 9CM under cyst --> spinal --> 737.20 {Lordosis (acquired) (postural)}. But I'm not agree with this, Lordosis??? no way...

SO better to study report well & then code.

Default lumbar facet cysts

Hello Fellow Coders,

I was just researching this website and others this morning and have learned from a medical website post, that the lumbar facet joints are synovial joints.
    So it would seem that we can use 727.40 Synovial cyst, unspecified for the ICD-9-CM code. I know this post is coming late for some, but hope it helps everyone just the same. About the rupture of it, I am not sure.

Similar Threads

1. facet cyst rupture and ESI injection
    By amrcpc in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM
  2. Facet Cyst aspiration and Facet Injection
    By crice@sunflower.com in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM
  3. Suture control of ovarian cyst rupture/hemorrhage...
    By trinalankford in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 12:01 PM
  4. Facet Cyst Rupture
    By nyyankees in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 04:43 PM
  5. Synovial Cyst rupture
    By rjburd68 in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 02:38 PM