AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Use of 59 mod in ER settings

Default Use of 59 mod in ER settings

AAPC: Back to School
    Hopefully someone can send me in the right direction here and if you have a link to a site that states a rule, that would be appreciated as well!

If you have a medicare patient in the ER who has an I&D of an abscess but also has an Infusion for 1hr and 2 IVP's, which CPT would you put the -59 on? I thought it was appropriate to put eh 59 on the infusion and injections but someone new is stating that its easier to just add the 59 to the I&D procedure and it clears the CCI edit for all. It was my belief that the procedure with the 59mod on it would get paid at a reduced rate thats why you put on the injections but then I was told that its not true anymore.

Can anyone verify this and/or send me in the right direction?

Columbia, MO

First check the CCI edits and the modifer goes where it needs to be to keep a procedure or service from "bundleing" into another. If you do not use the modifier on the correct code then it will not unbundle the service.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Mod 51 vs Mod 59 for ASC use
    By Tracy592 in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 12:49 PM
  2. 26432 in office settings
    By viksash in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2015, 08:02 AM
  3. Testing if my discussion settings work.
    By nbetts2000 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2015, 02:05 PM
  4. mod 25 & mod 59 with a 94664 (inhaler)
    By jsa1517 in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
  5. E/M in inpatient settings
    By member7 in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 08:34 AM