Thread: Modifiers Q7, Q8, and Q9

Default Modifiers Q7, Q8, and Q9

Promo: Code Books
    I have a question regarding the use of these modifiers. I realize that these modifers are indicative to foot and podiatry, but do you have to be a podiatrist to report them?

Let's say that a Medicare, diabetic patient presents to a family practice provider for footcare (trimming of nails) and meets the criteria for one of the modifiers, can we report them, or are they only for podiatry?

Also, codes G0245-G0247. If a patient meeting the critieria for these codes presents to a family practice provider and we provide foot care (trimming of nails), do we report G0245-G0247 and the CPT codes for the trimming of the nails along with modifiers Q7-Q9, or does G0245-G0247 cover the trimming of the nails?

Thanks
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

I would double check to see if those codes are payable to a family practice doc, if they are not then you can't bill them. If they are then yes I would use the modifiers they are required in order to get the procedure paid.

Katie Werner, CPC CPMA

Default Modifiers Q7, Q8, and Q9

Does anyone have recent detailed guidance concerning the use of the Q modifier codes? I'm specifically looking for guidance and examples for modifier Q8, but would appreciate any and all information. I'm finding older information with outdated links. Thanks.
    Carrie Ulintz

Similar Threads

1. Modifiers
    By ryleeq92 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM
  2. Two Modifiers, Which goes first
    By Candice_Fenildo in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 04:11 PM
  3. Modifiers -51 and -25
    By hthompson in forum Modifiers