It's my understanding from consulting with CMS about this, that if a patient is in an inpatient status, i.e. full admit, that no matter where they travel within the same hospital for rehab, pulmonary services, etc., even if those areas of the hospital are considered outpatient hospital departments, the patient remains in the inpatient status. This means that any professional services rendered by an MD should reflect that POS. So if you are doing a consultation while the patient is in the dialysis department (typically outpatient department), but they are a full admit, you'd code from the inpatient consultation codes, 99241-99245. If they are in observation status, then the outpatient codes would be appropriate.
Hope this helps. Pam
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join