AAPC - Back to school

Thread: wound closure w/ dermabond

Default wound closure w/ dermabond

AAPC: Back to School
    Wound closure with dermabond, would I just code and E/M or a simple closure 12011? Not sure on the coding of dermabond.

thx for any help

Milwaukee WI

Default CPT Guidelines

When in doubt, read the coding guidelines in CPT. 2010 CPT Professional Edition, page 64, first paragraph under Repair (Closure): "Use the codes in this section to designate wound clsoure utilizing sutures, staples, or tissue adhesives ..."

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

North Carolina

I just want to add that Medicare has a code for tissue adhesives- G0168

Default dermabond

I guess it is a little late for me to reply to this, but thought I would anyway. I had this same questions once and asked one of the ladies that have been here for 27 years. You would use the repair codes 12001-12018. dermabond is an adhesive , and in the description it mentions the use of an adhesive. Yes and if it is a medicare patient do not forget the G0168(dermabond)

Thank you very much for the feed backs.
    The cpt code wthin the range of 12001- 12018; and supportive G0168.
    but the answer to her point came from FTessa B and I greatly appreciate that an dvery very helpful,
    because it has the proper guideline :Wound Closure utilizing adhesive strips

So that gives the answer- meaning, it should be coded using the appropriate E/M code.
    But with your kind permission, FTessabartels, just a flip around of the page - it is in Page 58 and not 64.