K. Anesthesia Claims Modifiers
Physicians report the appropriate anesthesia modifier to denote whether the service was personally performed, medically directed, or medically supervised.
Specific anesthesia modifiers include:
AA - Anesthesia Services performed personally by the anesthesiologist;
AD - Medical Supervision by a physician; more than 4 concurrent anesthesia procedures;
G8 - Monitored anesthesia care (MAC) for deep complex complicated, or markedly invasive surgical procedures;
G9 - Monitored anesthesia care for patient who has a history of severe cardio-pulmonary condition;
QK - Medical direction of two, three or four concurrent anesthesia procedures involving qualified individuals;
QS - Monitored anesthesia care service;
QX - CRNA service; with medical direction by a physician;
QY - Medical direction of one certified registered nurse anesthetist by an anesthesiologist;
QZ - CRNA service: without medical direction by a physician; and
GC - these services have been performed by a resident under the direction of a teaching physician.
The GC modifier is reported by the teaching physician to indicate
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join