AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Doc leaving practice is approved cases still approved?

Madisonville Pennyrile; KY Code Miners

Question Doc leaving practice is approved cases still approved?

AAPC: Back to School
    If anyone can answer this question for me...I would appreciate any help. My PS doctor is leaving this current practice in October. My question is if I get a surgery approved for him, while he is still here, will that approval follow him or does it have to be approved again? He is going into to practice for himself, but will still have previleges at the hospital.
    Charlotte Lynn, CPC, CPC-H, COBGC
    Baptist Health Madisonville Women's Care
    Madisonville Pennyrile Chapter
    Madisonville, KY

Detroit, MI

I would recommend contacting the individual patient's insurance companies that approved the surgeries because I doubt that every payer will give you the same answer.

We had 3 doctors leave are practice 2 years ago. At the point where we knew the surgeries wouldn't be done while they were still with our practice we quite doing Pre D and Pre certs under our tax id. Because they had to be contracted with the insurance companies under thier new practice and have a Tax ID for the new practice. If they were able to give us the new Tax ID number and were contracted with the insurance company then we would write for approval. But for the most part we just let the patients know that the doctor would contact them when they got settled in the new practice.
    Hope this helps because its not an easy process and sometime patients done understand.