The ICD9 guidelines state to list the infection first, sepsis second, and then any localized infection. That leads me to believe you would code C. diff with 041.84 as primary. 995.91 would be the secondary code for sepsis. I then become a little lost with the localized infection code. When you reference colitis you are also pointed to using enteritis with causal organism. Going to enteritis you find Clostridium difficile enteritis, 008.45. But is that doubling up on the infection?
V Davis, CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join