When you say "converted", did this all happen during the same operative session? If so, then I think the inital biopsy would be included with the rest of the procedure. Also, modifier 58 would be inappropriate.
If the double mastectomy happened during a seperate procedure, then a modifier 78 would be more appropriate than a 58, unless they knew it was malignant before they did the initial biopsy and had the second surgery scheduled, which seems unlikely.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join