AAPC - Back to school

Thread: assistant at surgery billing

Default assistant at surgery billing

AAPC: Back to School
    Can anyone tell me please if you can bill an Unlisted Surgery code for a NP or PA assistant at surgery?

You can try but I am 99% sure you will not get paid. There should be a better code than an unlisted code. You also need to watch that an assistant is even allowed to be billed for that procedure.

We have a pa in our practice and every surgery that she assist on i bill the same code for her and place modifiers as,80 on the claim, and i have no problems with getting her claims paid
    good luck

Thanks for the feedback, we dont use an unlisted code that often for the primary surgeon either, but couldnt find any guidelines about billing the same unlisted code for the PA or NP when they were assisting.

I wonder if putting modifier AS would be better for the PA. Modifier 80 is usually applied for physician level assistants. Just a thought.

I agree about not billing modifier 80 for a PA assisting at surgery - 80 mod if for a doctor. I haven't had to bill for a PA assisting at surgery in a while (probably 2 years), but at that time it was modifier AS.

Similar Threads

1. Assistant Surgery Billing
    By ccmeola in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM
  2. Assistant Surgery billing as Primary surgeon
    By misbell in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
  3. Billing for second assistant at surgery
    By ccaldewey in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 0