AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Prophylactic Measure

Default Prophylactic Measure

AAPC: Back to School
    A new patient comes into the clinic for a travel exam because they are going overseas. The CC states the following:

Need for malaria prophylaxis; will be traveling to Mexico/bordering Belize

Is this a valid CC to constitute a new patient visit? The HPI has when the patient is leaving and when they will be returning. It also states that the patient denies any renal disease, liver disease and pregnancy. I don't see this as associated signs and symptoms because there is no complaint to tie this to. An exam was performed and the patient was given a prescription for a malaria prophylatic pill.

The provider coded this as a 99202. I say that without a valid CC or HPI, the history level is not there and the key components are not met.

Can we report an unlisted E/M for this? No counseling is documented so 99401 is not an option.

Any advice is appreciated.

Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

99201 or 99202 sounds reasonable to me. It's definetly a low level service, sounds like he did do some exam work. It doesn't really fit with 99401 I agree.

Similar Threads

1. MR for implant measure
    By PLAIDMAN in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM
  2. PQRS Measure 76
    By bkeeling in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 07:31 AM
  3. How to measure total sq cm
    By MsAnna in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 2