AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questioning Advantages of AAPC Membership

AAPC: Back to School

I agree, Houston is abound with immense medical opportunities. I would think that being a CPC-A would afford you a better chance at an entry level position - especially with UT/MDAnderson right there.

What you might consider is volunteering an afternoon a week or on Saturday at your own doctor's office so that you can gain some experience. You'd be surprised if you asked your own doctor to help you out at the generosity they may extend to you. There's always Planned Parenthood, Free Clinics, etc. Surely Houston has them.

The other thing is that you might try to network with some independent billers that could use part time or temporary help. One way to find them is to frequent their listserves -- try coding411.com, ericacodes.com, etc. Search for medical billing forums.

As an employer, we do look for certain qualifications -- even with entry level positions. For instance, we test on the claim form, computer skills and information technology as well as billing/coding, depending on the position. In today's environment, good computer skills are a must.

As for AAPC, I can honestly say that I have not utilized all the benefits afforded me, but I do use this forum a lot and I'm so appreciative of it. That alone makes it worth the annual dues fee to me. Thank you, AAPC!

Keep looking for opportunities and hopefully, one will pop up when you least expect it. Talk to everyone and keep working at gaining employment. It will only happen if you keep working at it!

Best wishes to you!
    Cyndee Weston, CPC, CMC, CMRS
    American Medical Billing Association
    AMBACode Coding Software
    2015 AMBA National Medical Billing Conference

York, Pa

My experience with AAPC has been wonderful! I've been a member since 2004 and got certified in 2005. Over the past few years I can say that AAPC has helped me grow professionally. We have coding edge, this wonderful forum. I know I don't utilize all that AAPC has to offer but the things I have used have helped me tremendously. I've met new friends that I have kept in touch with over the years. I have friends I can bounce things off of professionally and personally. There are times when I don't know what I would have done without the forums! There are so many of us with differant backgrounds in this coding field.

I have to say that I started a new job about 3 weeks ago and I can honestly say that if I would not have been looking in the job section of the site I would have never found out about www.indeed.com; which is how I found my current position.

Sometimes you just have to spend the time and effort in searching for things, just as we do in our line of work!

I recently noticed the option for making payments for your membership which I think is awesome. I for one like the early reminder about my membership dues coming up, that gives me ample time to get it together.

In closing I'd just like to say I am thankful for what being a part of AAPC has done for me over the years. I am proud to say I am a member of this organization as well....
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Charleston, South Carolina

Just to add, I too think the AAPC membership is invaluable. I am very glad that the CEUs are monitored as they are, they mean something! I can't speak enough about networking with fellow AAPC members.

I actually found my current job as the employer called me, along with some other officers (he found our information on the AAPC website thru local chapters) and asked us to relay the job opening information to our members. In addition to announcing this to our membership, I applied for and was offered this position. It is the best job I have ever had, bar none. I feel this was a direct advantage of having membership in AAPC, especially since I really liked my job at the the time and was not looking for a new position.

I also will seach on the forums for topics I have an interest in, or sometimes a need for more information. I will PM a certain member if I need help with something, and I have ALWAYS gotten a warm reception along with a great response. Many of these members I have then met at conferences and/or become not only networking friends with, but friends outside of coding and networking as well. This membership, to me, is worth every cent I pay for it.

Just to say, I belong to another coding organization and they do NOTHING for my money. For the past two years I have questioned this with the management and have received a very nice response. Having consider it each year, I decided to give it another year. I will not be renewing that memebership the first of the year as I have not received one thing from them except repeated "come to our conference" type emails.

Just food for thought, no criticism intended, but have you asked yourself what you put into the membership? Do you use many of the aspects available (ie forums, job announcements, etc), or do you just skim thru certain sections and possibly miss other opportunities? Have you reached out to someone from your area, via forums or meetings, asking for any guidance in locating employment or possible mentoring? I know its tough in today's job market, not only in coding but most other fields as well. I think the membership is most fortunate in what AAPC does for us and again, I find my membership extremely valuable.
    Last edited by mmorningstarcpc; 08-11-2010 at 05:30 AM.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

[QUOTE=rlcohen76;121038]I have to say, I disagree. I just recieved my notification also that my $120 is due and it amazes me that the AAPC starts reminding me to pay 120 days prior to due date. We all know that we are responsible for maintaining ceu's!

I have been a certified coder since 2001 with the AAPC and 2003 with AHIMA. The only reason I pay my AAPC dues every year is because we have to in order to keep our credentials. AHIMA allows you to maintain credentials, submit ceu's and not be an active member which I think is much better.
    I think the AAPC can be difficult at times with ceu's. AHIMA will accept any course taken as a ceu's, the AAPC will not.
    If the AAPC didnt require us to pay our dues, I am sure many people would not pay. My hospital will only pay for AHIMA dues, I wonder if other facilities are like that as well.

good luck in your job search

We all have to work hard to get what we want out of life with a determination that we will succeed and add a smile upon that. Just like a realtor has to follow up and call and search any leads and pay dues to their association, it is the same with coders. We need to belong and we need to network, and we need to sell ourselves to others that we can be good candidates.

We have to omit any negative thoughts and pursue success. We cannot honestly expect AAPC to get us jobs with employers. They can only supply us the tools and resources and it is ultimately up to us to search and solicit ourselves to future employers with our credentials.

Remind them of all the schooling you have, your previous experience on other fields, show them interest and willingness to learn and present yourself in an appropriate manner with confidence, proper attire, and a positive and happy personality.
    Things will happen if you have a happy and positive prospective. I know good things will happen to you also. Good Luck and keep your chin up.
    Last edited by emmieg1@yahoo.com; 08-24-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12