ChemoTherapy & Hydration

Default ChemoTherapy & Hydration
    Medical Coding Books
    Hello All,
    Need your assistance,
    If patient is admitted to out-pt hospital for Chemotherapy and received Hydration prior and / after Chemotherapy, do we charge for the Hydration or we do not?

Please advice and if possible send us the link.
    Thanks,
    Fami

Default My opinion
    I would bill for the hydration as long as:

* it really is for dehydration and not part of a chemo drug protocol that requires hydration during infusion

(and)

* it runs for the appropriate length of time required to meet cpt coding guidelines. It needs to run for at least 31 minutes before/after to be billed.

At least this is the billing protocol in my office.
    Hope this helps!
    A.Dimmitt, CPC, CIRCC
    Durham, North Carolina

Hi,
    Thanks so much. That makes sence.

How about Blood Transfusion, what is included? Any hydration or injection is included / can be billed separately?

Fami

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmitta View Post
    I would bill for the hydration as long as:

* it really is for dehydration and not part of a chemo drug protocol that requires hydration during infusion

(and)

* it runs for the appropriate length of time required to meet cpt coding guidelines. It needs to run for at least 31 minutes before/after to be billed.

At least this is the billing protocol in my office.
    Hope this helps!
    My openion : Yes indeed totally agreed. But the second half of' hydaration running for about 30minutes', why does it matter when the administration of Chemotherapy, a major service, is being provided. It is not a part and parcel of the Chemo administration procedure, unless the hyration shows up with allergic reaction(like rigor or so) or complications?
    So also the preliminary hyration for Blood Transfusion. It is a mandatatory to start with hydration before starting the transfusion and included in the Transfusion service. It is logical and justified so.
    Last edited by preserene; 08-15-2010 at 08:17 AM.